Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Penelope vs. Paz

Chatting over at Sheila's about the Golden Globes this morning, I came up with a neat idea: I should do a post about Penelope Cruz and Paz Vega. If you don't know either of these lovely ladies, take the time to click the IMDb links I provided.

Image hosted by Photobucket.comImage hosted by Photobucket.comCruz should be familiar to most movie goers as she has done a number of larger Hollywood films such as Sahara, Gothika, Vanilla Sky, All the Pretty Horses among many others. She also maintains a hectic film schedule in her home country of Spain and throughout Europe. She is also a board certified hottie.

Vega is another Spanish actress and is, in my opinion, going to be the Penelope Cruz when we can't get Penelope Cruz actress. It could work in her favor if she continues to deliver the kind of inspired performances she gave in Spanglish. One of the things she has going for her, and what actually inspired this post, is that I believe she speaks English more clearly than Cruz. That can't hurt her US film career. Oh, she's also a board certified hottie.

Okay, so I've decided that I want these two to have a little throwdown. I've come up with some entirely arbitrary categories and I'm judging them using my entirely biased opinions. So, here goes:

1.Birthdate: Penelope was born 28 April 1974 and Paz was born 2 January 1976. I am tempted to call this one a draw. Cruz shares my birthyear and Vega shares my birthmonth ... I'm going to have to concede to my fellow Capricorn. Winner: Vega.

Film History: I WANT to give this to Vega, hands down, because, I think, I WANT to like her more. I mean, I DO, but in the interest of competition, I have to look at their film history and who is more important to the American audience. Give the bulk of work Cruz has done in Hollywood and the fact that I've only seen Vega in Spanglish this is a pretty one-sided category. Winner: Cruz.

Film Future: Based on what I see on IMDb, there is a lot of work in both of these actresses' futures. However, again on IMDb, Vega has six projects upcoming to Cruz's four. Even though half of Vega's are foreign, it still counts in this category. Winner: Vega.

Have I ever seen one of their foreign films? This may seem a little strange, but I used to work for a video store that carried a good amount of foreign films -- given that they received decent US press from critics. The only Spanish film I have ever seen is a Penelope Cruz movie: Sin noticias de Dios (called Don't Tempt Me in the US release). While I enjoyed it, I've seen better. But still, it means that this round is also easy to score. Winner: Cruz.

Quality of performance: A difficult category to judge, even when I'm approaching from my completly biased mind. I've seen so many things with Cruz in it and only one with Vega. However, the power of Vega's performance was impressive. The downside is that she was playing a mom and the child actor was REALLY good and definitely helped the part. Cruz has also done some outstanding things, though some of it is definitely overrated. But Captain Corelli's Mandolin, wow. The biggest answer to this is that Cruz did Sahara* therefore she loses. Winner: Vega.

Presence on the web: Well, the Marine Corps doesn't seem to want aGoogle Fight between the two. But doing it the old-fashioned way, Cruz turned up: Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for penelope cruz. (0.09 seconds); Vega: Results 1 - 10 of about 2,300,000 for paz vega. (0.15 seconds). Wow, I didn't expect that. Paz is probably getting hits for former APC bassist Paz Lenchantin also. I was going to go into some other stuff, but Vega's response on the Google fight kind of leaves me stumped. I will say this, if you do a Google Image search on either of these ladies, be careful!!! Even with safe search on, you will get some NSFW results. So, the winner is kind of all of us, but, categorically, Winner: Vega.

So, Vega wins 4-2!!! Even I wasn't expecting that. But, seriously, check out these actresses work, you'll thank yourself.

*Disclaimer: I actually like Sahara, however, it's this kind of movie that really hurts serious film making. When a movie like this makes tons of money, it gets harder to make a Spanglish or Masked and Anonymous.

No comments: