Wednesday, March 08, 2006

I can run!

Well, I can jog slowly, actually. For those of you who haven't been reading my blog long, or just don't pay attention, I have only recently started exercising and getting back in shape. Allow me to put this into a little bit of perspective for everyone.

Two years ago, when I was in the Army, I could still run. Not well, mind you, but enough to still call it running. That changed the day I went on terminal leave. I haven't so much as looked hard at a gym in two years.

My decision to diet and exercise has followed a somewhat haphazardous plan. I started with diet and very slight exercise. Enough so that I don't even consider myself having started exercising until I started going to the gym last week.

Near the beginning of this initiative -- say, three or four weeks ago -- I tried to run. I woke up early one day with the intent of doing a slow, very short run. I went MAYBE 100 yards. I mean, it was not lack of desire, I simply experienced total body failure.

Last week I began a serious workout plan at my gym. I am currently focusing on cardio to both build endurance and lose weight. I am doing 45 minutes of cardio and a slight ab workout Mon., Wed., and Fri. I am doing 30 min of slow cardio focusing on muscle-building, reverse-progams and then weight training on Nautilus machines on Tues. and Thurs. It's been going well the all of one-and-a-half weeks I've been doing it.

I threw my back out on Monday. I rested really well Monday evening and took yesterday off exercising and pretty much chilled out. Today I planned to do a very light workout on the elliptical or a walking pace on the treadmill. I don't know what was up today, but every freakin' machine in the place was in use. Normally, when I get there after work, I can count the number of people in the fitness center on one hand. No more than two. Today it was packed. I decided to bite the bullet and just go run.

It was easier than I thought it'd be. I can't believe how much more of a workout real running (well, slow jogging) is compared to a machine. Covering real ground versus digital miles is so much more rewarding. I am ecstatic, hence the long post.

Thanks for supporting me in this guys.

No comments: