Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A view askew

Sunday night I broke my glasses. Not in an easily fixalbe way. Not in a way that I can just tape them up for the time being. Complete frame failure.

I couldn't find my old pair right away, so I did my best with some tape and tried to keep the lens from popping out every 30 seconds. Monday morning I went to the optometrist and ordered a new pair. Five working days is what I was told. What the heck am I supposed to do for five days?

The doctor asked me about contacts. I've been wearing glasses since I was in sixth grade, but have never tried contacts. I have an aversion to poking myself in the eye. But not knowing if I'd find my old pair, I decided to give it a shot. The doctor comped me a two-week pair to see how I like them. I'm undecided.

It's weird. Maybe there's an adjustment period, like with a pair of new glasses, but with the contacts things seem a little askew. Not really off, but slightly different. It's been messing with my head a bit.

I did find the old pair and the prescription in them is so old that the distance vision, anything past 20 feet or so is kind of blurry. So, they also mess with my head. I'm only supposed to wear the contacts for 6 or 7 hours at a time to help my eyes adjust. Then the glasses. I'm on day three and my head is killing me. There doesn't seem to be enough Motrin.

Anyone been through this? Anyone care to let me know if your eyes start adjusting to the contacts better?

No comments: