Sunday, February 03, 2008

Made it home

We made it home last night.

Originally, the plan was to drive about half way and finish the drive today. But, since it's only about a 13-hour drive from DC to home, we decided to go ahead and drive straight through. It was still a pleasant drive. Both my wife and I used to drive like this in our youth. Before we met and after we were married. We'd make 20-hour drives straight just swapping out driving duties. What a difference a decade can make!

I no longer feel like I can make a drive much longer than 8 hours without feeling it in my back and legs. Just weird how that happens, you know?

We did make a couple of stops. Our first stop was at Skyline Caverns, which is only about an hour-and-a-half to two hours west of DC off I-66. If you know the area at all, you know there are tons of caverns all clustered along I-81 against Shenandoah National Park. This particular cavern is pretty small, the tour only takes about an hour, but it was perfect for that fact. Skyline Caverns has the largest deposit of anthodites in the world. My girls were really keen on the Hope Diamond/Mineral display area in the Museum of Natural History. The wife and I really wanted them to see some of this stuff in its naturally occurring state. It was cool.

So, good trip but very glad to be home.

No comments: