Friday, December 11, 2009

Bullshit

That’s it. Fuck it all. Bring them home.

If you’re not going to get the fuck out of the way and let them do their jobs, let’s just quit pretending.

I’m talking about this story I heard on NPR this morning.

Basically, the gist is that while there are 30K more servicemembers heading into Afghanistan, the rules of engagement have been changed to “reduce civilian casualties.”

I can’t even begin to explain how frustrated and upsetting this is.

Rules of engagement exist precisely to reduce incidents of civilian casualties and to protect our soldiers from breaking any of the laws involving armed conflicts. This new policy being instituted by Gen. McChrystal is not going to, in any way, make our fighting men and women execute their jobs with any more vision or clarity than they have in the past. It is going to make them overly cautious and paranoid about breaking rules. It is going to put them in danger. It is going to get our troops killed.

This is political posturing. I’m not going to hypothesize about who’s responsible for this. I have my ideas, but it’s really not important. The fact is that these stricter regulations are already stifling operations.

So, again, I say, if you’re not going to let our guys do their damn job, bring them the fuck home to refit. This is fucking ridiculous.

No comments: