Thursday, May 24, 2007

A thought for this holiday weekend

I was halfway listening to the news this morning and they’re starting their Memorial Day stories. One of the things I overheard in passing was “the draft.”

Hearing that little bit made me think … crank up the innernets and do some research and come to the conclusion: The War on Terror is the first prolonged war America has fought with an all-volunteer service. Even the American Revolution made use of conscription to some degree.

How awesome a fact is this? We are able to fight successfully and defeat our enemies with a group of people who selected to do this of their own free will. And, on top of that, we have been able to continue to do this for over five years.

Every time I begin to think the American people suck, I’m reminded how awesome we can be.

Just something to think about this Memorial Day weekend.

No comments: