Tuesday, December 16, 2008

All I wanted was a Pepsi


You ever revisit a movie that you loved when you were young expecting not to like it now, but are shocked at how much you love it? Yeah, that happened to me the other day. I watched Repo Man for the first time in at least 10 years, probably more like 15. So long that while I remember the basic plot, I'd forgotten a lot of the movie's nuances.

What I love about this movie is that while it's fictional and satirical, it still manages to capture some of the angst and attitude of the generation that preceded mine. That's probably because it's the same angst of youth that my generation faced and the same that every late teen/early 20s youth faces. It's just captured against the backdrop of different cultural influences.

Thanks to Netflix, I've been picking up some of the movies I loved from my youth. This flick found it's way to the top of my queue because they recently announced there would be a Repo Man sequel: Repo Chick. Alex Cox, the original director, is on board and David Lynch is producing. That gives me some hope that it will be a good movie, but I do worry that the soundtrack will be lame. We'll find out.

Below is one of my favorite scenes from Repo Man (LANGUAGE ALERT):

No comments: