Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stating the obvious

Children are great blogfodder, and when you don't have much else to say, pull from real life. I wish I had a picture of this to share, but hopefully my words will capture the essence.

Yesterday, I took the kids to Baskin-Robbins for some ice cream. The degrees of mess varied as much as their ages. Daughter #1 was almost as clean (if not cleaner) as her daddy. Daughter #2 had a bit of an ice-cream mustache going on, but was otherwise cleanly. The boy, however, decided to coat both his face and hands in ice cream. The stuff melted down his right hand, it stuck to his left, and it covered his face from nose to chin and cheek to cheek.

This covering happens in the time it takes me to give him his ice cream cone and for me to get mine and sit down. So coated, he looks at me, eyes full of sparkle, and says, "I love chocolate, daddy."

Of course I had to laugh as I applied a handful of napkins, attempting to staunch the tide of rocky road.

No comments: