Wednesday, July 08, 2009

A wicked good time



My lady love and I went to see Wicked last night at Memphis' Orpheum Theatre. It was a great show and was my first time seeing a show at the Orpheum. On a purely personal level, I was excited because seeing the show reminded me of the couple of years I spent doing community theater before I joined the Army. I kind of miss the manic energy and fun, but I don't miss all the rehearsing. So, it was fun to watch and reminisce.

The show itself was amazing. The sets were things of beauty -- with steam punk-influenced mechanisms and gears. Marci Dodd as Elphaba and Heléne Yorke as Glinda both were amazing. Yorke's manic energy put her at the fore whenever she was on stage, but Dodd's voice took center whenever she sang. The show was so solid that I'm hard-pressed to think of any low points.

If the tour is coming near you, I recommend it.

No comments: