Thursday, October 26, 2006

Whiney McWhinewhine

My normal morning commute, home to office, takes about 15 minutes. Most of that is spent on our highway bypass and some of it is spent driving at a far more moderate pace down the narrow neighborhood road that leads to our installation back gate.

Most days, the wonderful and professional military police just look at your base sticker and wave you on, occasionally stopping a car for further inspection. Sometimes, however, they conduct a 100% ID check. This morning was such a time.

My complaint is not that these Marines are conducting the checks or that the base requires it. My complaint is with the people who obviously had to dig through their shit to get to their IDs.

I usually spend about three minutes, maybe four, from when I turn onto the narrow neighborhood road to the time I'm wavied through the gate. This morning it took 30.

I spent that time wondering what the hell was going on, and I pulled out my ID and set it on the seat next to me, just in case. Sure enough, by the time I got to the front of the line, I just had to show my ID and I was on my way. Which makes me wonder why there were times when I was stopped for a full five minutes before proceeding. It doesn't take much imagination to figure out that people just didn't have their shit ready. Thanks folks.

/end whine

No comments: