Thursday, July 05, 2007

It's a beautiful morning

Hope you all a good July 4th holiday.

We had a pretty good time. My parents came in from Louisiana and we went over to some friend's for a cookout. All in all, a decent time.

Our base held its Independence Day festival on June 29. It's always a big event with lots of fun, games and fireworks. Here are some shots I took of the event:



This shot's a pretty good illustration of the fireworks for the event.



This one is probably my favorite shot, and it's the one I put in the paper. You can really see the crowd here.

Those who remember my Independence Day post from last year might remember I wasn't too happy with how my fireworks pics turned out. My blog buddy (and amazing photographer) Uzz gave me some advice last year and I put it to good use this time around. Shooting with a very slow shutter speed on a tripod, I held a flash in my hand and manually fired it to illuminate the crowd in front while still capturing the fireworks.

The technique worked well, but I wish I'd found a better spot to shoot from.



I took a WHOLE bunch of timed exposure shots of flags flapping in the wind. I just liked the effect. I didn't know if, or how I'd use them. I wound up making a collage that I used as a backdrop on the page I laid out for the Independence Day stuff. It turned out pretty well.

No comments: