Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Fixing a door

The problem I am faced with now, when it comes to home repair, is that I have basically no money to put into anything. I'm at a place where I can only fix the things using the stuff I already have and tools I already own.


One of the things that's been bugging me since we moved in is that our master bedroom door wouldn't close. The door jam was busted. I couldn't pay to replace the jam, so I cut out the busted section of the jam (photos 1 and 2). I had a skill saw and motivation. It was on.

I had some wood left over from making shelves in the pantry. So I was able to replace the cut section with new wood.

Ideally, I would have had some nice wood glue and wood biscuits and a table saw to cut out the section for the biscuits ... but, nope, none of that stuff. You can see in photo three on the left my cut was far from perfect.

With no wood glue or biscuits, I decided to use dowels -- which I had from a long time ago and had recently unpacked.


The hardest part was attempting to drill holes in the jam that match up with the dowels in the replacement piece of wood. I got decently close.


After getting the piece in place, I filled in the gaps with wood putty (which I've owned for a long time) and let dry overnight. I let the putty sit overnight and then sanded things down very well. You can see a before and after pic at the left. I had to trim off some areas with the skill saw, but it all sanded down quite well.


You can see the mess at right. I don't have any chisels or a router. So I had to chip, cut and cajole the the wood out for the latch with a knife, a screwdriver and a hammer.

It's not a professional job. But it works just fine.

No comments: