Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Brace yourselves

Back braces have come a long way in the past 20 years. When I was in junior high, I inured my back dead lifting. I was playing JV football and trying to “bulk up.” Improperly lifting too much weight can really mess you up. I got a back brace to help support my back and cut down the pain. In retrospect, my back problems were probably just a pulled muscle, but it was quite painful and the brace did help. But it was also a case of the care being worse than the problem. The brace was amazingly uncomfortable and painful. It did not conform to your body, rather it was much like a corset (I assume) in that it forced your body to fit its mold. The brace also had these semi-rigid metal slats that would slide out of their housing and poke into your sides.

Now, many years later, I was asked if I would like to have a brace for my back. I still feel a bit traumatized by my previous use, but I figured I’d give it a shot and said that I’d try one out. I’m glad I did. This brace is not only conforming and more comfortable but there’s a big lumbar support that cushions, pushes and braces the spine. Feels great.

Wish I’d looked into these things earlier.

No comments: