Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Open flying with fire Idol 5/16

An interesting night and some good performances by all the idols. I'm positive that my assessment is biased, so keep that in mind. Each one sang three songs: one chosen by recording mogul Clive Davis, one chosen by the judges, and one they chose themselves.

Elliott performed well but the best song was the one Clive Davis chose for him. Davis chose Journey's "Open Arms," and it was fantastic. Much better than I thought it would be. Paula chose his song (sorry not familiar with it) and he chose a Ray Charles song for himself. Both were subpar performances for Elliott -- at least at this stage of the competition.

Katharine was in her zone for the first two songs. Clive picked "I Believe I Can Fly" for Kat and she delivered a decent rendition. She oversang a bit, which drew most judge's ire. Simon chose her next song - "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." She rocked it and was very natural, except that she performed it while sitting on the floor. Don't know who decided on that move, but I couldn't get it out of my mind. I was like, "Stand up, dammit! I want you to sell the song to me, not put me to sleep." Anyway, she wrapped up with an Ella song and just jumped the shark. Not good. She just doesn't have the voice for it, you know? Everyone who sang those blues/jazz songs had a really cool quirk to their voice that Kat just doesn't have. But I still think she survives this week.

Taylor was by far the strongest competitor. Clive's choice for him was "Dancing In the Dark," and the moment it was announced you knew it was going to be a home run. I joked to my wife, "Wonder if they got Courtney Cox?" But they didn't need her, Taylor got Paula up dancing with him. It was a great performance, great song choice, very memorable and a lot of fun. Randy chose the Joe Cocker version of "You Are So Beautiful" for Taylor and who wouldn't think that he'd rock that tune? He was as Joe Cocker as Joe Cocker was, but still Taylor. Very good job. Lastly, he chose "Try A Little Tenderness" and closed the show on a HUGE note. One of the best performances of the season -- not the best vox, or dancing, but just the best connection with the audience and those watching. Great, great, great.

I believe Elliott's going home.

UPDATE: Sarahk's got her thoughts up in her typical pedestrian wathcing a trainwreck parlance.

UPDATE 2:Dean's thoughts are up.

Dial Idol predicts that Elliott is going home.

No comments: