Tuesday, May 30, 2006

An X-review

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingI guess all of my previous posts on the subject were kind of leading up to this.

The wife and I went to see X-Men 3: The Last Grab at Your Pocketbook Friday. Since the movie scored the fourth all-time largest opening weekend box office, I assume a lot of you did also.

You can find plot outlines and all kinds of information about the movie all over the 'net, so I won't go into plot explanation too much. I will, however, address one of the chief complaints that many reviewers seem to have with the movie. Many reviewers claim the movie is too dumbed down and focuses far too much on the action. I emphatically agree with their assessment, but I don't think this is bad thing.

See, this is a very fun movie, and not overthinking what they were doing was probably the best thing these guys could have done. Focus on the action, develop the story only as necessary to advance the movie and have a good time doing it -- this movie does this in spades.

There are some great additions to this movie: Juggernaut being the best and Kitty Pryde being a close second. Colussus was good, but not used quite enough. For those who would argue that they've departed too much from cannon, you might have a point to some degee. But given the story line they've developed, and the fantastic presentation they've given us, I can't see how certain characters, especially Juggernaut, could maintain their comic-book origin.

Overall a good movie. I wouldn't say "best in the series," like some have, but it's definitely as good as the first two. So, if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend it pretty highly.

UPDATE: Oh, yeah, I forgot: Make sure you stay all the way to the end of the credits. There is a bonus scene at the very, very end.

No comments: