Monday, June 19, 2006

Be careful what you wish for ...

My wife and kids are away. They left Friday and are heading out to El Paso to visit some good friends of the family. I would have loved to be able to go (and my wife would sure loved to have had me to help deal with the three kids), but classes prevent me from going. So, I'm living the bachelor's life for about two weeks. Which basically means I'm doing the exact same things I normally do but it's a lot quieter and I can watch whatever movie I want without having to worry about the kids.

Although sometimes it's nice to have the place to yourself, I am really missing the family.

And I've been sitting here trying for several minutes to come up with a segue into a different thought -- everything I'm coming up with overstates everything I'm trying to say. What I'm trying to come up with a clever way of saying is that most of the time, when you life is clicking along as normal, you don't think much about the state of things. Status quo is pretty good (if it's pretty good, that is). When things aren't clicking along as normal, it's a good time for reflection.

Not that I've been getting maudlin or anything, but if I post up something over the next couple of days that seems a bit deeper than normal, it's because I have had the time to think about stuff and I'll probably be dumping some of it here.

One of those things I've been thinking about (mainly because I'm in an effective management class) is effective communications. So, expect to see some of that.

More later.

UPDATE: Just wanted to share, on movies, make sure to go out and rent The World's Fastest Indian. I rented it this weekend and was blown away. Great, great film. Sheila reviews it here.

No comments: