Thursday, March 12, 2009

I watched the Watchmen, again

I flew into Vegas yesterday for a communications conference. I don't party, and I don't gamble. The only thing I was interested in was seeing the Watchmen in IMAX.

So, I got checked in in time to make the 1:20 show. It was great, again. I have to admit that I cannot be objective regarding this material. The graphic novel is too much a part of my literary past and present. I love the source material. If they'd made a "Hollywood" version of this movie, I would be pissed. But they made a movie that was extraordinarily faithful to the comics. That was probably a mistake from the perspective of wanting to sell this movie to the mass movie goer. It's not a fun movie. It's not a superhero movie. It's kind of depressing, really.

Outside of the story, I was trying to pay attention to Malin Akerman's acting. I've read a lot of criticism lately and was really trying to see what they do, but I just don't get it. Sure, she's not going to be winning any Academy Awards, but she did fine. If you're going to complain about anyone, why not complain about Matthew Goode's performance as Ozymandias/Adrian Veidt? That dude slipped in and out of a German accent like Costner on the set of Robin Hood.

I am left having to give this movie a qualified "good movie" seal. It's not like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxie where they tried too hard to please everyone and pleased very few, this movie was made for the fans.

No comments: