Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Number 1!!oneone!!1

Yep. I cut the hell out of my finger. I am the number one dumbass.

Here's what happened -- as stated below, we're doing some kitchen remodeling. We were putting in the floor tile and I was cutting tiles. It had been a long day and I was getting fatigued. In fact, I was just thinking to myself, "Man, I must be getting really tired. These cuts are getting pretty sloppy." But I only had two tiles left to do to finish out my row and I was going to get 'em done.

I measured out a line one the second-to-last tile and cut into it. In fact I scored it three or four times. Plenty to have broken off the excess. But, I went in to cut one more time and this time my left-hand index finger was in the way.

I immediately knew I had cut myself pretty bad. I jumped up and went to the sink to start rinsing my finger under cold water. I called out for a band aid. By the time I got the band aid and got it open (a whole 30 seconds or so), it was soaked in blood. "Never mind, take me to the emergency room."

I wrapped my finger in a towel and some ice and we headed to the emergency room.

To their credit, the folks at Baptist East triaged me within 30 seconds of my walking to the counter. This resulted in the huge, foam-"number one"-hand-like wrap pictured here. But it took hours - about five - to get back to a room. It was another 45 minutes or so before I started getting any treatment. We didn't home until 5:30 a.m. A full 8 hours at the ER.

I learned, during our stay, that the absolute worst night to go to an ER at Baptist East is a Monday. I further learned that the worst thing about almost cutting off a portion of your finger tip is getting the local anesthetic prior to getting stitched up. I also learned that Dilaudid is a hell of a drug.

So, if you have the chance, I suggest NOT cutting off any parts of your appendages with a box cutter. Unless that's your thing or something.

No comments: