Thursday, October 11, 2007

Are good grammar fewer common?

Michele lets everyone know about her apostrophe-diner woes.

The thing she says that resonates most with me is: We wonder why the children have a hard time with spelling and grammar. It's because the adults teaching them aren't much better at it.

This is too true and part of the reason we are homeschooling our kids. When my oldest daughter was in kindergarten, her instructor was teaching them about the different parts of a book -- cover, title, and, I swear I'm not making this up, ARTHOR. I can kind of understand this as a verbal foible, but she spelled it this way too. I almost went to my daughter's class the next day to have a conversation with the teacher.

The more I find out about institutionalized education, the more I realize that you have to be very active in ensuring your kids actually learn something.

No comments: