Thursday, October 11, 2007

Pushing Daisies

Anyone else watching this show? I must admit that I fell victim to the aggressive marketing campaign for the show, but I have been enjoying it. This second episode was superior to the first. The set-up show was a bit drawn out but now it feels like they can just get on with the doing.

The one thing this show does that could have easily been a turn-off is that it uses the very popular modern conceit of constant narration. It probably wouldn't have worked if it was a character doing the narration, but since it's just an unknown, disembodied voice, it works quite well. The narration itself is part plot-moving, part explanatory and almost always kitchy. It reminds me less of Scrubs, Desperate Housewives or Dead Like Me and more of the BBC's old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy miniseries or the movie Toys.

A quick IMDb search shows that the show's creator was also a producer on Dead Like Me, which explains the theme. I have yet to see a connection to Toys, which I find odd, because this show owes a lot to that movie, at least in feel.

If you haven't checked it out, give it a try. If so, what are your thoughts?

No comments: