Monday, November 12, 2007

Putting a day off to good use

Long weekends often go to waste around the Cullen household. That is, we might get some cleaning done or something like that, but we don't get out and do fun stuff as often as we should. I'm more to blame than anyone else.

I didn't want that to be the case this weekend, so I planned for us to head out to Meeman-Shelby Forest, which is maybe 10 minutes from the house. After getting lunches and snacks packed, we headed out for some hiking fun. There's no online maps of their trails so I didn't know what was in store, but the Web site says they have plenty of hiking.

Once there we saw that we could choose from four hiking trails varying in distances from one to 12 miles. We took the one-mile route that also has a three and four-mile variant. It was out intent to take the four-mile trek.

At the halfway point there was a shelter where we stopped for lunch. Once we went to get back to hiking, we got off on a wrong trail, but still logged in 2.5-3 miles. Where we wound up there was a playground, so the wife and kids stopped to play while I walked on to get our truck. I probably logged about 5 miles total with my road walking.

It was a gorgeous and very fun day. Next time we won't be forgetting our bug spray and will make sure to stay on the right trail.

No comments: