Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fiddy bucks


So, this is where 50 of my bucks went last night. It's a mid-'60s era Teisco Del Rey EP-7 hollow body thinline. A cheap Japanese guitar aimed at the beginning guitarist who couldn't afford a Fender, Gibson or Gretsch.

So, that headstock is pretty cool and I love the big retro logo (a metal plate, not a sticker!). But it is missing the key off one of the tuners.

But I'm not too concerned about that. I can get these plank tuners for under $10 at Stew-Mac.

No three way switch here, two super cool on/off switches.

Also cool, the backplate with the model number and serial number.

The problem ... ?


The doggone strings sit a quarter-inch off the fretboard at the 12th fret. It has a wooden, archtop-style bridge but the neck isn't angled like it should be.

My question, do you think it's worth it to try and make it more playable? The tuning keys would be an easy fix, but I'm not sure what to do about the string height. I might be able to put a shim in the neck joint (it's a bolt on) and that might work. So, would you do it? Or should it become a piece of wall art?

No comments: