Sunday, December 02, 2007

Why grad school?

Wunderkraut, in the comments in the post below, asks: Why would you want to go to grad school?

Bottom line up front: Money.

Between my GI Bill and student aid, I will earn more a month than just about any part time job I can get right now. So that's the short of it.

The long of it, well ... it will be beneficial. Career-wise it's not something I need too much. If we decide to move from here at some point, it would help, but we're really thinking of settling here. My current position would be the biggest boon to any promotion opportunities here.

So, other than short-term money why am I doing it? When I finish my degree I'm going to seek part time employment teaching communications at one of the many colleges in the area.

Well, that's the plan.

No comments: