Monday, December 29, 2008

Youth is wasted on the young, exhibit 42

BUMPED because this post really should have been delayed and didn't get the fair shake it deserved.

This is the apartment where J-Mom and I lived during most of our stay on Okinawa. It was a four-story apartment directly on the beach. If you biggify the picture you'll see a path leading from the beach to the apartment's parking lot. We fell asleep to the sounds of waves crashing.


This is where the apartment complex was in relation to where I worked. It took me less than five minutes to drive. I could almost walk it in that time as well.

I cannot even describe how awesome this was. There was a lot of freedom to this, but all we saw were the negatives of living off base. The apartment was tiny. Our washing machine and dryer barely fit one full set of BDUs. The tub wasn't big enough to take a bath in. We only received Japanese TV. There was only one air conditioner and it was really only strong enough to cool down one room.

So we moved onto Kadena Air Base when housing became available. It was nice to have the conveniences that being on base offered. But those intangibles become a lot more important with age.

I'd go back in a second if I could.

No comments: