Monday, August 24, 2009

Dirty Monday



I've been craving some dirty rice for a few days and finally decided to make it yesterday. I picked up some cheap smoked sausage at Wally World and if there is any one thing I would change is that I would have used better sausage. Still it turned out very good. Here's the deal:

1 1/2 - 2 cups diced smoked sausage
1 cup ground beef
1 cup long-grain white rice
3 cups beef stock
2 1/2 - 3 stalks celery, sliced thin
1 cup diced sweet peppers
1 cup chopped green onions
3 gloves garlic, minced
Several shakes of dried onion flakes

Prepare rice with 2 cups of beef stock.

Brown ground beef and sausage and season to taste. Add garlic and onion flakes. Let simmer together for a few minutes. Add the rest of the veggies and cook until the celery begins to become slightly translucent. Add rice and the rest of the beef stock and simmer until the rest of the liquid is absorbed.

Like I said above, I would have used a better quality sausage if I did it again and I think I would have used a bit more stock. That extra one cup at the end seemed a bit too little. Maybe 4 cups total of beef stock (or you could use chicken). That's the thing I love about these dishes is that you can pretty much throw anything you want in there, it could be a much different tasting dish than someone else's recipe, but it's still the same thing.

Good eats, y'all.

No comments: