Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Something lost, nothing gained

For the better part of the last three years, a close friend of my family has battled cancer. This morning, she lost that fight.

She was a very close friend of my wife. Although a few years older than us, her and her husband were very close to my family. While I was deployed to Afghanistan, they cared for mine as though they were their own. I cannot express how deep a bond there is between our families, even though we have been separated by hundreds of miles since 2003.

Their youngest child is the same age as my oldest daughter. They were fast friends and contact often today. It was their little girl that called my wife this morning with the news.

This is not the first person I've lost to some kind of cancer. I have lost close family members, bloodline-wise. However, this is probably the closest person to me emotionally I've lost. I can't help think about what that little 8-year-old girl has gone through over the last three years and what she'll go through the rest of her life.

Pray for her, please.

No comments: