Friday, June 06, 2008

Holy crap I hurt

One day of intense yard work and three days in the gym and I'm sucking wind.

It's been a long time since I've been in any kind of decent shape. I wasn't in the best conditioning when I got out of the Army, but I was infinitely better than I am now. That was five years ago and yet, when I get on an the elliptical machine or start lifting weights I still measure myself against standards I held when I was active duty.

"How can I not be running on a higher level than this?"

"UGH! I can only lift this much weight?"

I know that I've been sitting on my ass for five years and of course I shouldn't be able to do what I used to. But it's still disheartening. What's cool though is that one of the Army's guiding PT principles is: "Pain is just weakness leaving the body!" So, feeling sore is a mixed blessing. I know it's good for me and that makes me happy. Walking up the three flights of stairs to my office does not.

No comments: