Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Idol thoughts 1/22

I really don't have much to say about last night. There were some entertaining performers. There were some bland ones. Honestly, no one stood out all that much to me. I did like the guy with his little boy; I hope he does well.

Otherwise, meh.

I'll let some others speak. This week, my primary round up are polar opposites as far as snark is concerned.

Sarahk can't seem to handle long hair on a boy.

The American Midol girls are more accepting, but more biting.

One last link, and I caution you not to click this one if you want to maintain your American Idol illusions: Vote for the Worst, the site that attempts to get voters to vote for the worst (they say, truly entertaining) contestant, have made some discoveries about several of this year's batch of contestants. It seems that last night's heavy hitter, Carly Smithson is a record industry failure who is now being pushed on Idol. They claim, anyway. They list several other auditioners who have also failed in the recording industry.

I have mixed emotions about this. VFTW claims that by having industry failures compete, it flies in the face of Idol's purpose: to find America's next, great undiscovered talent. However, I also think that if someone failed in the recording industry, they aren't exactly known to America. I'm not sure, but I don't think it's entirely fair. It does seem to go a bit of a way toward explaining why the judges are nicer this year.

No comments: