Monday, January 14, 2008

Who would keep you home?

I have spoken with, or read on blogs of, many conservatives who are debating sitting out the upcoming presidential election. When I first heard this I thought, "Why? You're just giving the election away." As we get deeper into the primary season and we get closer to having set candidates, I begin to understand the sentiment.

Being a conservative, there's no Democrat I could vote for. That leaves the Republicans. Generally, I am of the opinion that any Republican is better than a Democrat, but there are a couple of candidates in the field who I'm not so sure about. Obviously, Ron Paul is a nut. If there were some way that he could actually win the nomination, I know I would sit out. But as I've learned more about Mike Huckabee, I think if he won the nomination I would probably have to sit out also. I'm on the fence about Romney; I think I could still vote for him if he got the nomination.

I fully understand that by not voting, I'm participating in giving away my vote to my ideological opposition, but I just couldn't bring myself to vote for either of those folks.

So ... anyone else? Are there any candidates that would keep you home?

No comments: