Saturday, July 14, 2007

Boxes


This started out as a comment at It Comes in Pints? weekly FTFO thread, but I feel it deserves its own space here:

Acquiring boxes for moving can just fuck the boxity fuggin' fuck off. If you're trying to accumulate boxes through the charity of friends and by picking them up from stores, you're in for a good time.

We've had very good luck with friends, but that will only carry you so far. In the past, we've picked up a lot of boxes from Wal-Mart and other stores. They have, in the past, even had them set aside for us to come pick up. Not so much now.

Our luck getting boxes from stores has generally been -- "No, we crush 'em," or, "You need to call in advance." But when you call back you get another person who says, "No, we crush 'em."

So, I finally went to Wal-Mart this morning around 5:45 a.m. While I was still told they have the boxes bundled to be crushed, I was told that I was welcome to any empty boxes still out on the floor. Fortunately I was there early enough to get some. A good many actually.

But still ... they're fucking boxes people! A store is throwing them away, I want to reuse them. Is that not recycling at its finest? I have had two different people who have moved in the past month and both told me they would let me have their boxes when they were done moving only to have them change their mind: "Oh, I'm sorry, we paid for these so we're going to keep them."

Oh, really, you're going to keep boxes. What the fuck are you going to do with them? Are you going to design a new living room set? I mean, store 'em if you can, or whatever, but fuck you for promising me something, something I was really relying on, and then backing out. Fucking indian-giving mother fuckers.

No comments: