Thursday, February 07, 2008

Want to hear something crazy?

One of the things we do in my job is manage/store/market information pertaining to the recruitment and retention of Sailors in the Navy. Today I came across a bit of info I found quite disturbing.

I'm not sure of the source of this information, but we use it in official literature and we are the "subject matter experts" so I guess it came from us at some point in time.

Anyway, the information states that 72 percent of all 17-24 year olds in the US are ineligible for military service. Of that, 58 percent are ineligible due to height/weight issues, moral or religious reasons, disinlination for military service, etc.; and 14 percent are ineligible because they scored too low on the ASVAB.

So, out of all the 17-24 year olds in the US, 72 percent are ineligible right off the top. Of the remaining 28 percent, the Navy has to compete against the other military services and corporate America.

Crazy, huh?

No comments: