Saturday, July 22, 2006

Making the Metal: Supergroup -- The results

Well, I put it out there and you voted. Here's the results of a democratic Supergroup Poll:

Looking a bit like that Aussie dude from Midnight Oil here, Maynard.Vocals - Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle): Maynard was my pick for lead vocals when I did my first supergroup post. Here's what I posted then:

I believe that Maynard has the best hard rock/metal voice in the industry. He’s powerful, has good range, an amazing capacity to hold notes and can really get harsh when needed. He also writes great lyrics, though that’s not really what I had in mind. I just wanted a powerful, versatile singer. Interestingly, I actually got the idea for this post earlier today when an APC song came on the radio. I thought to myself, “You know, Maynard really does have the best voice in hard rock today. I wonder how much better a band he could get with …”
I still believe that.

And I'll play them with my feet.Lead Guitarist - Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society, Ozzy Osbourne): I have written a lot here about Zakk Wylde and Black Label Society. In terms of heavy metal, BLS is one of the heaviest bands out there. I also like the fact that Zakk sings. He's not very good, but he brings a southern-fried sound to the music. Which, taking into consideration he's a born and raised New Jersey boy, is kinda funny.

There's no mistaking his chops though. Zakk is an accomplished metal and classical guitarist, one of the few guitarists around today that Ozzy still invites into the studio, and has what is probably the most distinctive sound in metal today.

Riff 'em all.Rhythm Guitar/Guitar #2 - James Hetfield (Metallica): I was a bit surprised by this answer. While I like old school Metallica, and think those early albums to be some of the most influential music in heavy metal, I don't consider James Hetfield to be a "supergroup" level guitarist. That is, he writes very catchy music and has been doing it for over 20 years. But nothing that makes me think, "Wow, that was amazingly complex," or, "How did he do that?"

However, he is a solid player, can hang with the fastest players out there and, again, has been doing this for over 20 years. You've got to give the man props for his career.

And, thinking about it, it would be really interesting to hear what he and Zakk would come up with. I think the two could come up with some really interesting combinations.

The Ace of Killed by Doctor Rock.Bassist - Lemmy (Motorhead): I doubt there's anything I could say about Lemmy that's not been said before. Again, here's another vote that goes to someone who is by no means a virtuoso. But Lemmy's a solid player. He knows how to make catchy music. He knows how to keep a thunderous bottom end going.

After getting kicked from Hawkwind, Lemmy formed Motorhead and pretty much redefined heavy metal for generations to come. Almost every band that came out of LA and New York in that early '80s era -- Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Sacred Reich, Onslaught -- list Motorhead as an influence. When you're reading those magazine or online articles about the New Wave of British Heavy Metal, Motorhead is what they're talking about.

Keyboards: We don't need no stinking keyboards in this band!

The original drumming man.Percussion - Tie - Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) and Neil Peart (Rush): It would be really cool to hear either of these guys in this band. Both have so much talent and ability. They're both considered all-time greats in the field of percussion and have really gone a long way toward advancing the listening public's expectations of what a drummer should do.

Neil Peart has been on the scene longer. A product of the "bloated, '70s progressive rock," Peart and Rush have always pushed the musical limits. Writing catchy music while at the same time performing complex rythms and time changes has always been part of Peart's repertoire.

Photobucket - Video and Image HostingPortnoy, entered the scene in the late '80s and took the drumming world by storm. He redefined what virtuoso drumming is. In modern music, Portony and Danny Carey are on the short list of elite drummers.

With kits that blow the mind and percussions patterns that follow, Portnoy regularly blows the minds of fans. His ability to play complex polyrythms while still laying down standard beats for his fellow musicians to follow is recognized by drummers worldwide.

SO, those are the picks, how do you think they'd sound?

No comments: