Monday, January 23, 2006

Poisoning the pot

Lisa's most recent rumination made me think, "Wait, I have kids that are still young enough to be doing cute things. Perhaps I should actually write a couple of things down before I forget them."

Last night, I had the helm in the kitchen. The wife had to do some church-related visiting and that left me in charge of grub. No worries, meatloaf was planed and even I can handle that. Actually I’m a pretty good cook.

So, the loaf o’ beef is in the oven and I’m getting some of the side dishes ready. I decided to make some homemade fried cheese sticks because I’m masochistic like that.

As I get things in order, I call my daughters in from playing outside and tell them to go get washed up. They return to the kitchen table. My youngest (4, almost 5!) asks me what’s for dinner. My oldest (6), tells her, “Daddy already said meatloaf, mashed potatoes and it looks like he’s making cheese sticks too,” as I drop the harder-to-make-than-I-thought-they’d-be cheese sticks into hot oil. I had earlier told her that I wasn’t sure if I was going to make them.

I told her, “Yes honey. I did a taste test earlier and decided it was fine to make.”

She replies, “Yeah. You had to test them to make sure they weren’t poison.”

No comments: