Saturday, February 11, 2006

Top 10 Contest!

UPDATE: Visitors, commenters, readers ... please leave whatever list you'd like. However, to be eligible for the contest I will only accept lists that use songs from list below.

Well I got the idea yesterday to do another top 10 list. I want to do my Top 10 All-time Best Rock and Roll Instrumentals. However, while compiling songs, I got another idea, why don't I up the ante a little bit this time? Why don't I involve my blog buds and readers?

So, here's the deal:

At the bottom of this post is the list of every song I'm considering for my top 10. Using this list, and only this list, compile your Top 10 All-time Best Rock and Roll Instrumentals. Post your list here. My list will be posted by Noon EST, Thursday, Feb. 16. The person whose list most closely matches mine will win a compilation CD of all 59 songs. If there are duplicate lists that win, the person who posted their list first will win.

I don't yet know what my list is going to be, I will be doing a critical listening session for the next few days to decide. So, don't try and get any hints out of me other than the ones I'm about to give: I have a soft spot for influential songs. I have a soft spot for rocking songs that grab you from the get go.

Don't send me e-mails or post messages saying I left any song off ... yadda, yadda. I know there are some that deserve to be here that aren't. Blah. There are some songs I wanted that I couldn't track down, and there are others that I left off because they weren't as strong as at least 20 of these. I will tell you this, those songs I couldn't track down wouldn't have made my top 10 anyway, so keep that in mind.

This post will remain at the top of my blog until I post my Top 10 Feb. 16. Post questions here, or email me.

Full list in no particular order
Happy Camper - Reverend Horton Heat
Bullet - Reverend Horton Heat
Overture (Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, Disc 2) - Dream Theater
Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One - King Crimson
Red - King Crimson
Overture 1928 - Dream Theater
Beer 30 - Reverend Horton Heat
Stream of Consciousness - Dream Theater
Sleep Walk - Santo and Johnny (as performed by Joe Satriani, true to the original)
17th Century Chicken Pickin' - Impellitteri
Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson
Damage Control - John Petrucci
Searching - Joe Satriani
Wipe Out - The Surfaris
Honky Tonk Parts 1&2 - Bill Doggett
America The Beautiful - Black Label Society
Speedball - Black Label Society
Rat Salad - Black Sabbath
Time is Tight - Booker T & the MGs
Green Onions - Booker T & the MGs
Nottingham Lace - Buckethead
Speed Metal Symphony - Cacophony
Classical Gas - Mason Williams
The Horse - Cliff Nobles & Co.
Apache - Cliff Richards & The Shadows
Journey of the Sorcerer - The Eagles
Misirlou - Dick Dale
Erotomania - Dream Theater
Frankenstein - Edgar Winters Group
Fire on High - ELO
Albatross - Fleetwood Mac
Hocus Pocus - Focus
Maggot Brain - George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic
Beck's Bolero - Jeff Beck
Summer Song - Joe Satiani
Rumble - Link Wray
Orion - Metallica
The Call of Ktulu - Metallica
Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy
Atom Heart Mother - Pink Floyd
YYZ - Rush
La Villa Strangiato - Rush
Satch Boogie - Joe Satriani
Spanish Fire - Impellitteri
Fire Garden Suite - Steve Vai
For the Love of God - Steve Vai
Little Wing - instrumentalized by Stevie Ray Vaughn
Scuttle Buttin' - Stevie Ray Vaughn
Surfing With the Alien - Joe Satriani
Tequila - The Champs
Pipeline - The Ventures
Walk Don't Run - The Ventures
Sparks - The Who
Tommy Overture - The Who
Triad - Tool
Eruption - Van Halen
When the Water Breaks - Liquid Tension Experiment
Evil Eye - Yngwie Malmsteen
Soul Sacrifice - Santana

No comments: