Tuesday, January 30, 2007

It's kind of funny, my ass is on fire

Once again, I am trying to lose weight. Long time readers of my blog know how many times I've begun something only to not comment on it any longer which, of course, means I'd fallen off the wagon.

Sometimes I hurt myself because I was pushing myself too hard. Sometimes I didn't stick to the diet because I didn't have the willpower, or chose an unrealistic diet program. Sometimes it was a combination of the above.

I grew up a fat kid and it really bugs me that I'm fat again.

When I hit 10th grade, I started dropping weight like it was melting off of me. I went from 200+ pounds at the end of my 9th grade year to around 160 pounds at the end of my 10th grade year. When I joined the Army in 1994, I was 155 pounds. I have put on more than 100 pounds since then.

This time is different, though. This time I'm using my plan, my way and it's entirely my motivation driving this rather than (as several times in the past) just going along with something my wife had in mind to do.

Instead of cutting out carbs or drinking beat juice or jumping up and down on one leg and swinging a dead chicken over my head, I'm *gasp* counting calories! I've decided to try and eat healthier foods, but my primary concern is reducing the amount of calories and portion control.

I also got a bike (hence the title of this post). It's amazing how little you have to do to get that heart rate going when you're a big tub o' goo. But that's going to change soon.

Dudes. I started this on Friday and I've already lost 15 pounds. Which I understand is because I was starting from scratch and I had a lot of water weight and toxins and crap to get out. But still, 15 freakin' pounds is pretty motivating.

Not to sound like a broken record here on my blog, but I hope that by this time next year I'll be out of weight loss/conditioning phase and in a maintenance phase.

No comments: