Friday, November 21, 2008

Genius 8

The wild Reeves Gabrels:

I have not kept up with Gabrels over the past 8 years or so. I first became aware of him when he started playing with Bowie in the (some say ill-advised) Tin Machine. However, it appears that he's gone underground and has moved down the road from me to Nashville. Looks like he plays a local restaurant/club there pretty often. Looks like I'll be going to Nashville sometime soon.

Here he his today playing The Family Wash in Nashville.



This is Gabrels at his best in the '90s. Earthling was a great Bowie album and this is my favorite track from it. In fact, it's one of my favorite Bowie songs ever.



Tin Machine got a bad rap. I think the heavier rock was such a change from what Bowie had been doing, he disappointed a lot of fans. But it was really good stuff. After Tin Machine broke up and the Sales brothers went their own way, Bowie and Gabrels maintained their collaboration for the remainder of the '90s. This track was one of the better from Tin Machine:

No comments: