Friday, March 03, 2006

Because I'm All About the Guitar Pt. 19: Is it guitar or is it Korg?

I am a fan of progressive rock. I love bands that consist of great musicians playing great music at breakneck paces. Odd chord choices and interesting scale progressions are my cup of tea.

A common theme is making one instrument sound like another, or mimicking other sounds. My favorite band, Dream Theater, is big on this with guitarist John Petrucci and keyboardist Jordan Rudess sharing solos. So, I've decided to post a fun little challenge, can you tell which solo is guitar and which is keyboard:

Clip 1
Clip 2
Clip 3
Clip 4
Clip 5

Answers are in the box, highlight text inside to see the answers.


Clip 1: Keyboard
Clip 2: Keyboard
Clip 3: Guitar
Clip 4: Both
Clip 5: Guitar



Let me know how you did.

Previous installments:
Part 18: A beautiful guitar;
Part 17: Getting all amped up over the sound;
Part 16: Not quite plug and play;
Part 15.25: Don't let Gibson buy your company;
Part 15: The greatest guitarist you've never heard of;
Part 14: The finish;
Part 13: Vernon Reid;
Part 12: The vibrato tremolo;
Part 11: Jimmy Page;
Part 10: What's in the wood?;
Part 9: Rebuilding a guitar;
Part 8: G3 2005;
Part 7: John Petrucci;
Part 6: Chingon;
Part 5: Home recording on the cheapity cheap;
Part 4.01: Guitar Zen;
Part 4: Full service Friday -- concert going in 1993;
Part 3.5: Gretsch guitars;
Part 3: The Reverend Horton Heat;
Part 2: Back when I thought I could play;
Part 1: Zakk Wylde then and now

No comments: