Wednesday, October 26, 2005

More meme: Bad movies you shouldn’t love, but do

There are all these best/worst of lists floating around. What I want to know is what are your guilty pleasure movies? What are some movies that are pretty universally considered to be bad, but you still like/love and why. There are some obvious “B” movies that I’m going to avoid – Plan 9, etc. -- that people all know are bad, but still like.

1. Event Horizon : I honestly don’t understand why this is a universally hated film. It’s one of my all-time favorites. I am a huge Clive Barker fan and this movie feels like a Baker novel on film – more so than any actual Barker movie. Funny that. This movie rocks. And it has a scene with someone’s eyes dug out of the sockets. It’s fantastic.

2. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy : While lots of critics didn’t pan this movie, I think that they, like me, are too big of a fan of Douglas Adams to have given it a poor review. Everyone I know doesn’t like this movie. But there is no way I cannot like it. Too big a fan and I liked the way they approached the movie. Plus, Sam Rockwell WAS Zaphod Beeblebrox.

3. Adaptation: Got some critical raves, but again, no one I know likes this movie. It’s another one of my all-time favs. I guess I like movies that mess with you. And I dig Charlie Kaufman.

4. Going Overboard: This movie is so amazingly bad. I mean, I admit that it is horrible. But I love it. Another so bad it’s so funny. Adam Sandler at his worst.

5. Punch Drunk Love: Another film that critics loved, but no one I’ve ever met (in person) liked it. Not a single person. Sheila likes it, but she doesn’t count because she likes all cool movies.

6. Car 54 Where Are You?: I know this is a bit of a stretch, but I really do like the movie. I never watched the TV series, so I had no preconceptions. I dig David Johansen and wish he’d had a bigger career.

7. Smokey and the Bandit Part 3: I fully admit that this movie is the poorest of the poor. But the Smokey and the Bandit films played a large role in my movie watching youth, so I enjoyed all of them. All of the Smokey’s and both Cannonball Runs.

8. The Postman: I fully understand why no one liked Waterworld. I mean, it effin sucked. But I don’t understand why no one liked this movie. It was long, but had a decent story and execution. Folks just lost all faith in Costner? I don’t know.

9. Tapeheads: I know very, very few people who have seen this movie. Those I know who have don’t tent to like it. Oh well, it’s hilarious. John Cusack and Tim Robbins just as their stars started to rise. This movie is so ‘80s. It’s a fun, funny watch.

10. Screwed: This movie is only barely watchable. I like Norm MacDonald. In fact, I’m pissed he’s not in more movies/TV.

Okay, so howsabout you?

No comments: