Thursday, October 13, 2005

Summer Camp days

Rob at File It Under has a great post about Summer Camp.

I wish I'd had a quarter as much fun at camp as he did. The couple of times I went to camp (and they were both Christian Camps, as Rob's were), it wasn't a lot of fun. Not that there wasn't much stuff to do, I just wasnt' into them.

At that time of my life, I must have been 10-12 years old, I was into camping and stuff, but the camp crap was just too rigid. We went on little nature hikes through the woods on preset paths and could only swim in the pool in the camp compound -- which was closed every other day because scorpions kept getting into the filtration system.

I was used to camping with my dad in Colorado. Going out in the middle of nowhere, swimming in the streams and ponds high up in the mountains. Fishing, starting big camp fires, taking care of the tents -- it was a lot of work and a lot of fun. Camp was nothing like that. And I hated it because of that.

I have since learned to hate camping. Something about living in a tent for the better part of a year in a God forsaken country does that to you. I might change my mind some day. But not soon.

No comments: